Massage Therapy Questions and Answers
An Effective Treatment for Reducing Stress, Pain and Muscle Tension.
At Harvest Pointe Chiropractic & Integrative Health Centre, we have carefully assembled a group of highly trained registered massage therapists, all with over 2200 hours of training. Our massage therapists are client-focused and are dedicated to helping you. Massage involves manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It can vary from light to deep pressure. Depending on your health goals, our massage therapists will always have your well being as their top priority.
For more information, call us today or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 5069 Ellerslie Rd SW Edmonton, AB T6X 1X2.
Table of Contents:
We spend most of our day sitting or doing some activities that may cause our muscles to feel tired, overworked, fatigue, and weak. Sometimes, tension that we hold on to may not manifest itself until we reach our body’s threshold to handle day-to-day activities. Taking care of our body with regular stretching, strengthening, and massage therapy can increase our body’s awareness for movement, balance, and health.
Our muscles work in an agonist and antagonistic system, when one muscle contracts, there is another pair of muscle that relaxes, for example, biceps and triceps. When your biceps are flexed, your triceps relaxes. Massage therapy works to strip out muscles that are continuously contracting and to encourage blood flow.
Previous surgery can leave scar tissue which can cause residual pain and limit range of motion, receiving regular massage therapy can help to reduce pain from scar tissue and may help to increase mobility or flexibility.
Types of massage therapy:
Our clinic offers many types of massage depending on your needs:
• Deep Tissue: This massage technique uses slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
• Sports massage: This type of massage focuses on people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
• Trigger point massage: This type of massage focuses on areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse. By working on active trigger points, the therapist addresses residual pain, referral pain, and range of motion limitations.
• Prenatal massage: we offer this type of massage for women who are pregnant and looking for relief from back and pelvic pain, which are common during pregnancy.
There are many benefits that come with getting a massage, some of these benefits include:
• Decreasing patient stress while increasing their relaxation
• Minimizing the patient’s pain and muscle soreness and trying to remove any tension they have built up
• Improving the body’s circulation, energy, and alertness
• Reducing the patient’s heart rate and blood pressure
Massage can also be beneficial for the following:
• Digestive disorders
• Lower back pain
• Nerve pain
• Myofascial pain syndrome
• Strains, sprains
• Upper back pain
• Neck pain
Massage therapy is great in conjunction with other therapies including chiropractic and acupuncture. For the most part, it does not matter whether patients get a massage before or after their other therapies. What matters is that the patient is comfortable, relax, informed, and an active participant their treatment plan.
It is often recommended that patients get a massage once or twice a month for relaxation purposes as well as to maintain a low-stress level. However, if you are getting massage therapy for other reasons including injuries, you may need to go in for a massage more often, depending on your treatment plan.
At Harvest Pointe Chiropractic and Integrative Health Centre, we have experienced massage therapists who can provide pain relief. For more information, call us today or book an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 5069 Ellerslie Rd SW Edmonton, AB T6X 1X2. We serve patients from Edmonton AB, Beaumont AB, Nisku AB, Leduc AB, Acheson AB, and Sherwood Park AB.